Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Today, there are three kinds of people: the have's, the have-not's, and the have-not-paid-for-what-they-have's. ~Earl Wilson


During these tough times, my amazing cousin Herdís re-did the floors in her handicrafts shop. I admire Herdís so much, she runs the handicraft store in town, giving courses in all sorts of things. In the summer she runs a cafe in Áskaffi, which is located at the museum in Glaumbæ. People who have been there can testify that she makes a great hot chocolate and some of the best traditional cakes. On the photo is Herdís on the left and Fanney her sister in law on the other side of the counter.


The store is so colourful and the floor has really brightened things up. I think that I will be spending lots of time in this store before christmas, time to make cards and presents, make this year a little more personal.

Last night I had a bit of a dinner for my brother and his wife, his best friend Ingi and Ingi´s wife Elsa, mum, Maggi and one of my favourite aunts Auður.


Auður is 87 years of age, she is just amazing - always looks a million dollars. For dinner - in case you are interested was home made mushroom soup, roast fillet of foal with new potatoes and a pepper cream sauce followed by berries in cream and fruit cocktail and icecream. All this washed down with a couple of bottles of Rioja. Depression and debt crisis in Iceland... so what. Live life and enjoy.

As usual the evening is rounded off with a quick walk down to the beach to check out the night life (or lack thereof) in Sauðárkrókur.
Mum has gone with Helgi and Sigga to Reykjavík for the week, leaving me and the animals alone...

11 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

Foal! Bloody terrorists!
;)

Northern musings said...

I know, we are aren´t we....

Margarita Mirasol said...

I'm going to report you to the IMF.
The International Mad Foal Organization.

Maja said...

I love Herdis's shop. It always looks so nice and it's so inspiring!

Unknown said...

I cannot wait to come back to Iceland.

olga said...

I will definitely testify to the deliciousness of Herdís' cakes. Mmm, brúnterta.

Also, your dinner sounds amazing - so cute and great tasting!
It sounds especially good because Ross and I are starting to do the I'm-sort-of-worried-about-money-and-who-needs-three-meals-a-day-anyway diet! Not to worry, I'll get a job soon, I promise!

And finally Happy Birthday! Just in case my text-messaging overseas didn't work!
love olga x

Northern musings said...

Thanks Olga, hey if you need a food pack I will send one to you. Also, many many many thanks for the letter! so nice - I love letters... it will have it´s own plastic pocket in my letter drawer - I also promise to write back - a real letter - also the official one will be done tomorrow - am working out a way not to break laws that count...

Northern musings said...

Maria, thats OK the IMFO are weak, they can do nothing to us... you know that like the japanese we also eat those big mammals that swim in the ocean... they too taste good. There is obviously no hope for this island in the north... should probably just nuke us and be done with the problem...
Maja, today I spent a good 3 hours doing ceramic painting... I am such a nerd.
Anna, glad you miss Iceland - means that you have good memories... and that is the most important - we miss you heaps and hope you come soon!

Margarita Mirasol said...

He he he. Nuke you. Poor Iceland. I do feel for you guys right now. All 300,000 of you. My govt is being so mean although I hear that they've given 100 million to Landslide bank or sommit now.
Fuff's friend has 100k sterling in one of the banks that went down. Eek. I think the govt in the UK only want to help get money back for the local authorities who had money over in Icyland.
Do hope all's well. I don't care, actually, about foals and eating whales. I'm very moderate like that. But if folks stop selling wine, merde, that's when I'll start kicking up a storm.
Hang in there......

Margarita Mirasol said...

By the way, Gordon Brown just told me that if you get 100 comments for this post, he'll bail you out.

Margarita Mirasol said...

11 comments. 89 to go.
We can do it. We can get Iceland out of this mess.