Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall. ~Larry Wilde, The Merry Book of Christmas


The Christmas tree lights were turned on on Saturday, the weather was crap - windy and snowing and cold, however the turnout this year was the biggest I have ever seen here. I think just about all town folk were here to get into the Christmas spirit. All the shops in the old town were open for business and were offering hot chocolate and cookies and at the museum the women from the afterschool care and kindergarten teachers had hot lamb soup and a market in the old black house (used to be used as the bootle depot). SirrĂ­ thinks that about 400 people had come through there.

Another attraction was the polar bear that was shot in summer... He is rather cute, quite big with sharp teeth...

a small video of when the yuletide lads arrived

10 comments:

judith said...

Arrrrgh, I'm freezing just looking at that. That's too bad that they shot the bear... I love bears, I love watching them. I think it would be cool to live where you had to look out for bears before you left your house.

Jolea said...

Love the blog, I'm new to yours! My mom (Jomamma) reads it, so now I do too! I love seeing all the snow and bundled up folks that are still smiling! :) Stay warm!

Northern musings said...

Yes it was a tad cold on Saturday, today was cold too... so dog has not had as many walks as she would have liked....
And Hi Jolea, I´ve been following you and your ma through Maria in Japan - isn´t the blog world amazing...

Margarita Mirasol said...

You're really making my winter a winter wonderland via Iceland. Love the pics. Love the snow. I am a snow freak.
That poor bear. I glad they stuffed him though as it serves as a reminder that global warming is real indeed.
I told my students about the bears you got. So sad.

But love love love your town Christmas tree and all your decorations. I will decorate my classroom tree with the two English Club students tomorrow and will do something at home tonight. Got some lights, so far.

Margarita Mirasol said...

Jolea
This blog is da bomb.
So funny.
And it's been wonderful to see Iceland through the seasons. When you look at your google map, it's quite awesome to see how 'up there' Iceland is.

Maja said...

It looks prettier with all the snow, even if the weather is rubbish when you're in it.

Jolea said...

I have been Google Earthing where you live like crazy! It's up there Maria! :) p.s. I like how they made the polar bear smile a little. Very cute!

Jolea said...

like crazy... like is what I meant... I got into the rum...

Northern musings said...

Oh thank you!!

tsduff said...

Oh no - I'm so sad when I see that polar bear. What a shame he made it all the way across the water/ice only to be shot. It is a good picture though. I tried to see the Yule Lads in your video but I'm afraid I couldn't see them very well. My camera doesn't take little videos :(