Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything. ~Gregg Easterbrook

Went for a walk with the dog and the camera tonight so am going to share the shots with you. The stats quote is because I spent the whole day working out statistics to use as a basis for working out the economic impact of Holar on the local community. Totally engrossed - completely forgot lunch and the fact that I had promised a kid a ride to town for basketball practice...
Freyja as usual is totally engrossed in all smells that cross her orifactory senses.

A view towards work... My workplace is in the valley across the fjord. The weather tonight was excellent, no wind fairly warm (around 7 degrees C) and the fog was just starting to roll in.

Now this fairly bland building hidden one street off the main road takes a good % of my income - it is now called the wine shop - "vín búðin", however, it is still colloquially known as "ríkið" which means "the state". Alcohol shops are still 100% owned and run by the government and hence are not into advertising their wares - because we all know alcohol is very very bad for you.

This is a shot of the primary school if you look on the hill you will see a series of gates - these are the gates "to heaven" - our cemetary - I know that I will be dead when I am dead - but hey thats the place I want to be dead in.

Suðurgata, one of my favourite streets in town, and boy do I love that mountain.!

The post is moving and so the old post office needs to find a new existence - any ideas for potential businesses?

For Maja - in case you didn´t know - Rúna Birna is now in the neighbourhood, she bought this house last year.

A view from Skógargata at the rear of the old telephone exchange, Kaffi Krók which had a fire in Jan is still a ruin with no one wanting to make a decision about its future.. Such a pity.

Home again home again jiggety jig... my shed - the back house.

Poor Tara - she belongs to a cousin who is working outof town at the moment, am not sure anyone is walking her at the moment. Must talk to the kids and see if they want me to take her on my walks with Freyja.

Skógargata - the site of many an accident in my youth.

Sundið - the alley where my abode is... See those mountains, one can so easily ignore whats directly outside the door when one can look a little bit further towards the horizon.

4 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

Wow. I love seeing these pics of Finland. [Just kidding] Love your witty commentary, too. Especially about the liqor store. Looks very, um, well, doesn't look like a place where you can purchase bottled pleasure, but I guess that's all the better so that others don't find it and reduce the stock too much. Cos we all know that the increase in fuel prices is gonna mean that no more wine gets sent to Icyland. It's gonna be you guys who are gonna have to suffer first. Next on the list is Madagascar. Third is Lithuania.
Ashully, does Iceland have any vineyards? You can make Ice Wine probably? Ne?

Northern musings said...

Ta Maria - no no vinyards here, they do make a mean bootleg though called Landi... and its quality is totally dependent on the distiller...
You can buy those packs in the shop you know - just add water and sugar... have been thinking of giving that a go one of these days... Which means I need to start saving my bottles... hmmm could be a new hobby. There is new add on tv from the grog shop - it shows badly behaved people with pig noses with "mad world" as the music - no talk and then a black screen that says don´t let wine make a pig out of you - drink like a human.. quite good. This should be a blog and not a comment hmmmmm may look on utube to see if anyone has put the add there

Maja said...

Great photos. It still looks pretty chilly over there with the snow still up on top of the mountains.

Ah rikid.. I spent most of my money there while I lived in Iceland. I could have been rich if I hadn't liked drinking so much.

I'm sure Iceland won't miss out on any wine, we'll just start boxing it instead of bottling it. It'll be great! Hell, maybe they should be doing that already.

I didn't know runa birna had moved back to s'krok. It's a cute little house she got.

Northern musings said...

Rúna is still flying around the world, but she decided she needed more of a home when she is at home so bought the house down the road. It has about ten different types of wood panelling on the inside but she has managed to do quite and bit and it really is a rather lovely house...