Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

You live longer once you realize that any time spent being unhappy is wasted. ~Ruth E. Renkl


So todays post is about a day in the life of moi... well not really its all about a road trip, that starts with breakfast at mums with both the dog and cat in attendance. those of you who are offended by our breakfast table habits... get a life...
Freyja always gets to drink the rest of the milk from my cereal, mum insists that she also gets a tablespoon of cod liver oil. Snotra the cat decided to join us this morning so she got some cream, but as you can see from the look she is giving the dog, she is not too happy!

the start of the journey out of town, the sands to my left.

the old bridge that is no longer in use, just as well, as I have two one lane bridges to cross after this one.

On the other side of Hegranes, this is "austanvatna" eastern waters. Skagafjordur has Hegranes as a central point, it was once an island - back in the day when the waters were at a higher level than now... I wonder whether this was due to global warming...

there is a single lane bridge at the end of this road... this is where I usually break the 90k per hour rule...

the sands to my left as i burn at 120k´s

on the other side - you can just about make out Drangey the island in the centre of the fjord.

the road to Holar... Under those clouds and at the foot of the mountain is my workplace.

Work... my office is in the main school building on the left.

Home again home again jiggety jigg.. or whatever... this is the holar road back to the main highway.

A review mirror look back at the mountains.

the bridge.. on the way home.

What a beautiful day it was today... Tindastólll - my favourite mini mountain on the right.

Mælifell the little peak in the centre of the photo - these are the eastern waters.. before going over Hegranes

Another mirror shot - I do like these - the ones out the front window are crap as you will see.. one day I will wash my car.

oh... its lambing time in Iceland - I will be eating those little lovelies at Christmas... yes a carnivore that can still appreciate cute.

Ah yes the dirty windscreen and the view to S´krok. these are the Western waters

Crossed the bridge and Drangey now on my right... Almost home

Mælifell again - its the one with the most pyramid shape.

Saudarkróks international airport.....

What people in Sauðarkrók appreciate more - the stables and equestrian centre.

ah yes, the village, next turn right and I am home! Lame post I know, but figured Maja and a few others might enjoy the scenery..
The drive to work takes between 21 to 30 minutes, depending on the level of lead in my foot, as you can see from the photos the traffic is definitely not heavy - I meet maybe 10 cars in transit, most of them people that I work with - their place of work is in town while they live at Holar. It is amazing how countrified I have become - recognising cars and number plates and knowing when to lift my hand in recognition, mind you half the time I am in some sort of dream state and notice nothing. Well best to finish.

7 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

The dog and cat having breakfast with you is sooooooooooooooooooooooo adorable. And with their own little plates. Awwwwww. It's making me go 'Awwwwwww' awdibly in the thankfully empty teacher's room.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
What's the cat called?

Margarita Mirasol said...

Doh. Just figured out the cat's name. You see, I just had to 'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww' before reading the rest of the post.

Margarita Mirasol said...

Iceland is soooooooooooooooooo beautiful.

tsduff said...

You've made my day with your pictures. Oh, do you know how divine I think your commute is? Oh, how I wish I had such a life. The views, the mountains, the glorious water scenes and all just slay me. I am an office worker (secretary) by trade, and I think I would have a difficulty finding any type of a job due to my NON Icelandic speaking skills... I still do dream though.

Our old doggy Tobin eats eggs and bacon for breakfast. Our one hen thinks she is a member of the family and tries to charge the door whenever she can.

We have our daily dose of ufsalysi to keep things okay.We need to refill our supply next time we are in Iceland though... we have only one bottle left.

Northern musings said...

Thanks for your comments guys, yes it is awwwwsome to have the life that I have here now. Even though sometimes work is a tad stressful the commute lets me leave it all behind in the valley.

Maja said...

It's feckin' gorgeous! So not a lame post, it's an awesome post!

Miss you xx

Northern musings said...

I just read that again and realised "next turn right" - yeh right - right into the fjord... lets make that next turn left...