Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Words have meaning and names have power. ~Author Unknown

So on the weekend we went to Reykjavik for the baptism of my second great nephew. He was named Ari Freyr. Both names are actually norse..
From Wiki... the source of all knowledge these days:
'Ari' is a somewhat common name meaning "Eagle" or "fast flying one"
Freyr (sometimes anglicized Frey)[1] is one of the most important gods of Norse paganism. Freyr was highly associated with agriculture, weather and, as a phallic fertility god, Freyr "bestows peace and pleasure on mortals".
Interpret as you will, as I shall not - self editing at work

This is Aron Ingi, elder brother hanging onto his afi Helgi´s leg. He is sooooo much like his dad and his afi. Has a mind of his own and no one will bend it. A cutie and basically a great kid.

The feast.. What is a familly christening - it is a chance to eat lots and lots of great cakes and savoury delights.

Uncle Maggi and amma Sigga

Reynir and Kristin... perhaps the source of my next great whatever...

Langamman... a great word ... the long grandma. Mum and her second great grandchild, I don´t know if you can see this from the photo-but the boy has really BIG hands... amazing. As I said to KristĂ­n and Reynir, its obvious he is going to be a big man - afterall puppies with big feet are a sign of large dogs to be (this is the dog owner in me.. I have no idea about human children)

Amma and her newest grandson, Sigga is a great amma, she loves it and she is soo good at being one.

Apart from stuffing our faces at the christening, we also updated my mobile, got a card for mums new mobile (must take a photo of it as it looks more like a calculator - majorly large numbers for the sight afflicted, no sms options, four numbers in the phone book... all a 81 year old needs.. She is really happy. We also visited IKEA, don´t need to tell you that I bought stuff that I "sort of" needed... and we went to KFC. Oh and ofcourse we did the Laugarvegur circuit.. What more do you need to do in rvk...??? Probably lots, but I have realised that I have become terribly "sveito" (country bumpkin,,, in the full sense of the idea)

4 comments:

Overboard said...

I shagged some big wig of Ikea on the eastern mediterranean yacht rally. I was really drunk and all the boats were rafted together and I tripped over heaps of lines and went crashing onto the deck of one boat, all the time warbling, 'kiss me kiss me' and then going and knocking on the guy's cabin door.
It was in Lebanon. So I blame the Lebanese wine.

Overboard said...

p.s lovely photos.
I love seeing pics of yours and Maja's family.

Northern musings said...

Thanks Maria, so did you get any free furniture? Or at least a worldwide discount card?

Maja said...

Aron and Ari.. interesting. I was listening to the radio last week and they were talking about siblings all having names starting with the same letter.

Amma's phone sounds awesome! I haven't been to IKEA in ages.. probably best to stay away. It's just too busy as well. total mission.