Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Askasleikir - Bowl licker


Bowl Licker, the sixth one, was shockingly ill bred.
From underneath the bedsteads he stuck his ugly head.
And when the bowls were left to be licked by dog or cat,
he snatched them for himself - he was sure good at that!

Ah yes bowl licker... in the olden days here in Iceland folk had a wooden bowl with a lid that they got served their food in. ... to clean it they left it on the floor for the dogs to lick the remains. This resulted in a spread of an illness called sullaveiki.... sull means liquidymess veiki means illness, basically folk had been infested with tapeworm. Those days are thankfully gone.
Towhit, today I took the dog for "cleaning" - a part of owning a dog and having a license to have a dog in Iceland means that it needs to be "cleaned" every year. So today I took Freyja to the vet and she got two tablets to rid her of any infestation that might be lurking, this means that I can safely leave my bowl on the floor, let her clean it and then eat from it... nah, I think I will continue to use the dishwasher..

6 comments:

judith said...

That's just gross! I would wash our cat's bowl everyday and wash her water dispenser every other day. I can't handle dirty animal dishes... I'm not a real fan of animals in the house as it is. I guess that's why the only pet I had of my own was a horse. Until of course the kids came along.

We raised an orphaned puppy that Jeff brought home... when we gave it away at 8 weeks old, Jody said it would probably be depressed when the new owner didn't wash it's butt after it pooped. Yeah... I'd wash his little butt with a warm wash rag before he came back in the house.

Northern musings said...

It is gross, but that was the day here when folk lived in turf houses and having the animals indoors meant more heat. Mum had a horse here in Iceland before we went to Aus, he was a major part of the family, so much so, that he thought once, when the front door was open, and mum hadn´t fed him through the window; that it would be no big deal for him to come into the house. Apparently backing him out took quite a bit of time.

Margarita Mirasol said...

I love these posts. I told my kids yesterday about Christmas in Iceland and talked about what you have been writing about.
I said, 'Who wants to go to Iceland'
Nobody put hand up so I asked why not.
'Too cold' they mumbled.
I said, that's what farking clothes are for you boring tossers.
ksfjaskdljfasdkljfasdkfjads
He's nearly here.
kdsjflkasjdflkasdjfklasdjkfjasdkfjasfjasfasklfjadsljfasdkljf

Northern musings said...

Love it Maria - thanks for spreading the message.. There is actually an Icelandic film about a Japanese lad coming to Iceland to perform a burial ceremony for his parents who died here whilst on holiday. It is a really quirky film called Cold Fever in English, from 1995 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109028/ in case you are interested... I saw it during the summerville film festival in Perth ... a little bizzarre it was 30 degrees in Perth watching a film in Icelandic set in winter.. the main man was Masatoshi Nagase - if that means anything to the plebs.

olga said...

Ew. Tapeworm. How horribly educational... I'm way okay with pets in the house, but that is kind of outrageous.

Ha, coincidence. One of the few Icelandic films I've seen, Noi Albinoi, I saw at the summerville festival! I guess not so much "coincidence" as "that's the only time an Icelandic film would play in Perth".
x

Maja said...

Yum yum.