Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Kertasníkir - Candle Beggar




The thirteenth was Candle Beggar-
´twas cold, I believe,
if he was not the last
of the lot on Christmas Eve.


He trailed after the little ones
who, like happy sprites,
ran about the farm
with their fine tallow lights.


This is olga, by the way, Sigga has entrusted her yuletide-lad review to me - since I´m hogging her computer anyway, I may as well be useful!

So yeah, candle stealing man. He was really hard to take a good photo of, maybe Sigga will edit it later and add another. I think this guy was one of my favourites, along with the door slamming guy. And he seems to be the only non-food related one... Unless he´s eating the candles.
Also, I really like the idea of all the farm children running around their wooden houses with lit candles, and being stalked by a yule lad, no less. Sounds like a blast!
Anyway, Ross and I are looking forward to a lovely (and hopefully white) Christmas here in Sauðárkrókur, I hope the rest of you have an exciting and fun-filled Christmas of your own!
x

4 comments:

judith said...

I love these little guys.

Johanna said...

Welcome to Iceland, Olga and Ross. Have a very merry christmas, even if it is NOT snowing, only "hauling" (öskrandi) wind outside:(
Hope to see you while you are here - enjoy your stay (¨,)

Maja said...

Yay! Merry christmas! Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!

Sigga last night I dreamt that you had long dark brown hair with a huge section that was light brown and you looked mint! On account of my dream, I think you should try growing your hair long for 2009 to see what it looks like! Love you xoxoxoxo

Northern musings said...

Maja - I will send you photos of when i had semi long hair and you will know it is not a good look