Pages

Friday, December 12, 2008

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. ~Terry Pratchett


Of Cats and Shoes in Windows

Another funny thing that happens in Iceland at Christmas is that those poor unfortunate people that don´t get something new to wear at Christmas will be taken away by the Christmas cat.

This ofcourse ensured that in the olden days every man woman and child would receive at least one new piece of clothing, whether it be a sock, mitten or hat. Which ofcourse was extremely practical and necessary in our cold dark winters before electricity, heating and lighting.

These days it is a great excuse to go out and buy a new outfit for Christmas. I bought my dress in April and wore it for the first time to what I feel is the start of the Christmas season - a dance out in the country. This dress will next be worn on Christmas Eve - so I have escaped. Mum is taking care of Olga and Ross (knitted them a new jumper and vest).

As for shoes in windows.... this is the bonus with the jólasveinar - as they come down - "one by one" and raid and pilage what they can in your home, they leave behind (for all the good little boys and girls that have left a shoe in the window) a present. When I was a kid it was more often than not a shiny red apple. These days it tends to be something a little sweeter. However, beware those children that haven´t been behaving - they get an uncooked potato. I heard recently that one mother who was fed up with arguing with her child about a particular pair of shoes that the child did not want to throw out decided to put a potato in it - a mashed potato!!!

5 comments:

Jolea said...

THE CHRISTMAS CAT?!?! I love Iceland more and more with every post! p.s. I would love to find a potato in my shoe. Being somehow an Irish descendant I love potatoes.

judith said...

I am really enjoying this Geography lesson... it would be the other way around at our house... they would hate to get an apple, even worse a stalk of celery! Celery is like cryptonite to the Cruzans.

Northern musings said...

I am with you on the celery thing. Talk about overpowering taste.

Margarita Mirasol said...

Mashed potato, tee hee.
I put a giant strawberry, I know, a waste, into the Nike trainer of the guy who unsuccessfully stole my friend's video camera in Cape Town. Boy were we the best sleuths on the planet to get that back.

Margarita Mirasol said...

Ha ha ha celery. LOL.