Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Perhaps the best Yuletide decoration is being wreathed in smiles. ~Author Unknown


Let me introduce you to some of my most favourite people in the world. The photo above is of Bryndís, Guðný and Sirrí, Sirrí is my cousin - we actually have the same name Sigríður - but our diminutives are different, mine is Sigga.
Herdís (below) is Sirrí's sister and runs Áskaffi - the café at Glaumbær. I was enjoying myself pretending to help out in the café today.
It was another rökkugöng in the old house and today a few more people dropped in to experience life in the old turf house and to have some great hot chocolate and cakes at Herdís's. The cookies below are traditional biscuits baked before christmas.

Hálf mánar (half moons - are my grandmother's recipe) vanillu hringir (vanilla rings) mömmu kökkur (mums cakes - ginger bread sandwich with icing) and gyðingarkökkur (jewish cookies - don´t ask me why they are called this - they have shaved almonds and sugar on top and are basically typical butter biscuits)
Twas a great night

7 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

You win the award for The Best Christmas Spirit in the blogging world.
I love it.
And all the posts below sharing Icelandic folklore.
Those biscuits!
I'm on my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Northern musings said...

You are always most welcome Maria. Yeh, I am a bit of a fan of christmas

Maja said...

Lovely :)

Johanna said...

I agree with "Overboard" - you are the bbbeeeessssstttt....

judith said...

Yeah, you and Jolea... well on your way to being elves when you grow up. I just wish we had the culture ya'll have. It's great. We're such a discombobulation of things. Hey didn't Santa grow up just around the corner from you in the hood? That explains it.

olga said...

Those are great photos. The candles, the red tablecloths, the smiles - looks like a cosy and nice night.
x

Northern musings said...

Just got back from Áskaffi - twas another good night - more people so more to do. All the hot chocolate was drunk (about 10 litres). Last weekend is next weekend and it will be huge..