Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever. ~Author Unknown

I have to make up for my not posting yesterday.


The year that mum and dad spent in Aus is one that I think we all as siblings will remember.  Unnur took most of the brunt of having to face the illness that dad had, she went with him to the doctors and was probably more aware than any of us of how badly he was.  I was in total denial..  Until the time that I had to take him to the hospital with a blood nose that would not go away... He ended up at Royal Perth for a few days... I think that this was when I realised that he would not live forever - funny how when you are young you are sure that your parents will always be there for you.


Dad got a little better and after the year they went back home to Iceland - I went with them.  That Christmas in Iceland was one of those that is both the best of times and the worst of times.  Dad was really really sick.  Our Christmas Eve meal was spent at his bedside.  Mum and I went to different church services, we did not want to leave him home alone.  I really can't remember how long this trip to Iceland was, nor what I did or where I went... I just remember facing the fact that this might be the last time that I would see my dad.  


I went back to Aus and life continued as before - news from Iceland was that dad was getting better, friends from Aus visited and noted how good he looked, plans were made for another visit to Australia, tickets were booked.... mum and dad then went on a trip with my brother on the ship he was captaining around Iceland... all photos show a very fit and lively dad... then.. just as they were finishing the trip he suddenly became very ill.   Within a month, he was no more.  This was the hardest time of my life, but I wasn't alone in my grief... my sister, brothers and mother were all losing a most remarkable man.  How do you cope?  I had the advantage in that I had said my goodbyes in Iceland - but I had also been looking forward to seeing him and mum in just a few weeks time.  What do you do when you live on the other side of the world... what should you do?   


I am so thankful for the fact that my brothers were all there with mum.  Maybe Unnur and I should have been there too.. Who knows, would it have made any difference - maybe, maybe not - we can all look in hindsight and think that had things been different then things would be different today - but like I always say - you can't undo what is done and there is no need to have regrets.  What is done is done. An amazing and wonderful man died too young, but I am forever grateful for the fact that he was my dad and made me the person that I am today... 


Enough

2 comments:

judith said...

I know exactly how you feel, wishing you were there. I wasn't on the other side of the world from my dad, only across the start of Texas. But as you say, you can't undo what is done. We just have to remember the good times with them and be proud of who we are because of them.

Maja said...

He will always be missed. xoxox