Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

"Well, the Ides of March have come", to which the seer replied "Ay, they have come, but they are not gone."

Apparently the Ides of March fall on the 15th of the month... so I am few days late.. This quote came to mind when I realised that I had to continue to blog till the end of the month... not easy.


So today was a day of work and meetings, the meetings were not related to work work but the other work - the council stuff.   You see we are facing an imminent problem here in the fjord.  What to do with animals that die on a farm - in child birth or from other diseases and those bits that come from the abattoir that can not be used in feed for the mink farms...  EU regulations are becoming more and more stringent on these matters.  Now that most of the rubbish that needs to go to landfill goes across the mountain to the fjord to the west (where they have decided not to allow abattoir refuse and dead animals to be landfilled) we need to find a solution.  This morning was a meeting with the abattoir manager and this afternoon with representatives from the farming community.  This is a real problem that needs to be solved and solved quickly.  Our landfill is losing it license to remain open... to keep it open we will be faced with more stringent regulations... What to do????  Yep, my life is full of challenges.  On Wednesday I am having a meeting with representatives from the authority that is in charge of composting - we had a composting station here - now closed down due to debt... the composting station in the next fjord to the east is on the verge of bankruptcy - why? because they can't use any of the produce - or rather they can - but no one can farm the land for 10 years - which basically makes it useless.  They charge people for the refuse that comes to them, but it is not enough to cover start up loans and operating costs... It's a right mess.


In other news we had foal for dinner tonight - and as usual it was yummy... Amazing how tender it is.


And I had my photo taken with the t shirt for Napier Marineland.  There is a T shirt travelling around the world trying to gain attention and to help keep the Napier (NZ) Marineland open.  I donned my ski suit and T shirt and did a snow angel... not good photos... but I figured more politically correct than standing in front of a stuffed polar bear...  


Ah another day, another blog...


But before I go - many thanks to Maja and Anna for all the photos on facebook from my nephews marriage on Saturday... I was going to try and load some photos from their fb pages, but am having technical difficulties... not happy...


will try again tomorrow.  So many great photos of so many very happy people obviously having a wonderful time!  Oh how I wish I had been there....

4 comments:

Unnur said...

Great newsy blog. The abattoir business sounds complex. We have all sorts of regulations for our pet farm. I'm always filling in forms. Lots of love to all.

KH said...

I've smelt some bad smells over the years, but I'm pretty sure the odour from the sheep-gut bin at that abattoir is the worst. Indescribably bad.

Maja said...

We have a compost bin at home and in my research on the net i read that you're not supposed to put meat in it, so I'm guessing the composting you're talking about isnt the same.

I reckon incineration would be the way to go. What do they do with the hospital waste?

Northern musings said...

the abattoir business is complex and continues to be so, Incineration is a tricky thing - there are three in Iceland that have now all had problems with dioxins being released into the atmosphere... there are no easy solutions..